Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Funny Games

Okay, so I watched the movie Funny Games last night. I would say that I liked it a lot, but I'm not really sure what it was. The story unfolds seemingly straightforward, but during the film I noticed at least three asides, which on the one hand made me feel better about laughing during parts that people probably just shouldn't laugh at, and on the other hand made me question the theme. Tim Roth and Naomi Watts were in their "A" game as usual, and the writing/direction was consistent and fresh. Apparently it is a remake of the director's own film from 1997. I'm assuming it was a foreign-language film. Otherwise the guy's seriously out of ideas. I recommend watching it (without the kids), and then I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on it. Oh, come to think of it, I bet it was a German film. You'll understand that if you watch German movies.

No comments: